The Dump

The Dump is:
For posting comments that don’t get up at the Drum, and for having a pleasant, mirthful or enlightening off-topic discussion.
It’s not for personal abuse of other commenters.
Please do that somewhere else if you must.
Play nicely or piss off.
However, why doesn’t a poster add a link for us to read and comment on here, much quicker. Maybe we can do a bit more bagging here, not that I speak for the moderators, yet.

NB: Being tiresome and boring, racist, sexist or just plain creepy is not playing nicely.

give a crap

———-

The Pig’s Arms exists because eight or nine years ago our other favourite playpen – the ABC’s Unleashed blogsphere started to go off.  Like a sack of prawn heads  in the sun.  Something had to be done.

Moderation was taking forever.  Comments seemed to be rejected randomly – outrageous ones appeared and reasoned ones were pinged.   When they released the Drum / Unleashed ….. things actually got worse !

So many pieces from professional writers appear with no obvious merit.  And the moderation has become, to put it frankly, appalling.

As a former contributor and a commenter, I was deeply disappointed at the plummeting quality from our pre-eminent media empire.  And I resented so many challenging or dare I say, witty or funny posts in which we’ve invested seconds of our precious time – getting the chop.

So here, for all our benefit – is an open slather blog.  Copy and paste your best rejected comments here for posterity.  Does not matter whether you’re posting on the Guardian, First Dog on the Moon or wherever else.

And sprinkle pointers to the Pig’s Arms amongst your comments.  Let’s try to rescue some of the old faithful.

Cheers,

Emm.

14784 thoughts on “The Dump”

1. algernon1 said:

I wonder with Prince Phillip dying, who is going to ask the aborigines if they still throw spears at one another.

• vivienne29 said:

Given the news mob something different to talk about for a day or two. Must say I’m sick of covid covid covid vaccine vaccine vaccine over and over and Morrison’s useless press conferences where he tells us nothing in 6500 words.

Liked by 1 person

• algernon1 said:

Yes I found it somewhat funny, some of the commentary, it got a bit tedious last night though when the same comments were recycled.

Yes anything to get Scotty the Stupid off our screens, as you say saying bugger all.

2. algernon1 said:

Says it all really!

Liked by 1 person

• vivienne29 said:

Thank you Algy. Fucking spot on.

Liked by 1 person

• vivienne29 said:

Wondering what you replied to me today that got you wiped. I’d said I was surprised he knew how to get out of bed. Not long after the whole show got closed down again immediately for legal reasons. Wish they could explain what’s going on.

3. vivienne29 said:

Has our pub gone bush?

4. algernon1 said:

Yet another sexual assault claim this time by a National against a Liberal.

The LNP should just change their name to the Misogynist Rapist Party and be done with it. Its run by a leader without a spine to do anything, the minions just parrot his blathering’s on the subject. Seems even the wording by the executive appears to make them enablers.

The Stupid one just seems to work out the marketing aspect and answers it like a marketeer. As much as I loathed Howard, he would have acted, even Waffles Trumble would have acted, suspect the Turd would have turned a blind eye.

Liked by 1 person

• vivienne29 said:

More sickening news every day. Evil bastards every one of them. All of them should die of shame in Tony Abbott’s book.

5. algernon1 said:

Well done viv. Guardian Pick.

• vivienne29 said:

With so few comments it came as a real surprise.

• algernon1 said:

So few comments anywhere at the TGA. I can’t imagine a 4000 sqm Harris Farm, We shop at one now that our local fruit shop has closed, but it has turned into a IGA express. The IGA’s fruit and veg is hit an miss, but then our old fruit shop was top notch.

Interesting that it was an old Bunnings, even the old ones were big, but the new ones are massive. The new one near us is two storeys.

• vivienne29 said:

Not that old. Built new but I forget when, maybe 15 years. Put two other established hardware stores out of business. Built another one in East Albury and closed the Albury one.

6. algernon1 said:

I see two weeks on TGA’s live blog is still not open for comments and those that are, are few and far between. I wonder if the alleged rapes that have come to light in Canberra have something to do with it along with the premoderation before the comments were pulled.

Liked by 1 person

• Yes I agree. I have had my account pulled but am pre-moderated on every article completely over comments about a bin chicken so I got a new email and am now I’m Sandy101. I wanted to be called Charlie the Rapper but I didn’t think it would be allowed. TGA are running scared.

Liked by 1 person

• vivienne29 said:

Agree. Time they opened it up. Porter has outed himself.

• Hey Viv. I’d like to think that I’m fair minded, but there is apparently corroborative evidence from the late woman’s psychologist that would suggest that she was fair dinkum.

And equivocating before going to the police is common because a trial would be horrendous for the plaintiff.

Shame no DNA was collected – that would be conclusive if he did it.

I do think that in suggesting that SOME women might lie to square up with actual or perceived abuse is as fallacious as the old “All swans are white” assertion – until one goes to WA and sees a black one.

Four Corners seemed to be suggesting that Porter was – at least in his mouth a privileged pants man. It has a whiff about it, doesn’t he.

This on Guardian Live today – tucked away, not a headline:
      “I know that a lot of you miss being able to comment below the line – we miss it too.

But we are dealing with complex legalities. Courts have ruled comments are the responsibility of the mastheads which publish them – that includes social media – and so, given how labour intensive pre-moderating can be (we are still a small team) it is better to have comments switched off. It protects us – and you.

The same goes for social media – it has been ruled a publishing platform by the courts, so when you hit ‘post’ you are publishing. Just a reminder to be smart about what you write. There is a lot of understandable emotion about a lot of the issues we have been dealing with. Defamation law though, doesn’t tend to care about emotion.”

• algernon1 said:

Well that doesn’t surprise me. We have this fascist government to thank for this.

• vivienne29 said:

Frankly it gives me the shits. It’s out of control. Porter now sueing the ABC.

• algernon1 said:

He’s the AG FFS. He appoints judges to the Federal Court. This is real dictatorship stuff.

Yet Scotty the Stupid reckons this is the right course. Tin ear suggested. Albo reckons a concrete wall. More like he’s encased in concrete.

7. test

• Not one article open for comment at TGA. Next comes the paywall.

• algernon1 said:

They are. There was on open on the WA opposition leader though it didn’t show up. If you click on it there are comments and a Guardian pick for yours truely.

None on the live blog for over a week though, that after pre moderating comments.

• vivienne29 said:

See if things change after the accused rapist names himself today. Only one article of significance open, sometimes nothing. I’m not happy.

• Viv, I’m a little bit over TGA – and Also the Daily and Weekend Morrie Schwartz stuff. I do feel it bagging out the Morrison government is justified, but it’s getting predictable and boring.

All those pimply-arsed “journos” hanging off Scummo’s every word reminds me of Joe BP’s phrase “feeding the chooks”. But now, we have no sub-editors to smarten up the prose and actually make a point instead of just doing a regurgitation. The ABC has gone down this shithole too – with one journo interviewing another journo.

I’m getting to hate the infinite tedium of the NEWS. Blah blah blah Covid blah blah blah China China China rape and misogyny Blah blah blah Covid. Trump Trump Trump Biden Trump. Libnat fraud, lies and climate denial more and more and bullshit. Where has all the talent, wit and scarifying satire gone ? Did John Clark take it all with him to the grave ?

Liked by 1 person

• Sorry, that was Joh – with an aitch.

• algernon1 said:

I’m finding the commentary on COVID has become quite predicable as is the live blog with the Labor states good Liberal states bad bollocks. The continual veneration of St Dan and the apparent Stockholm syndrome of those commentators from Victoria. They all seem quiet brittle. They are nothing compared to the Queenslanders and their banal parochialism and the jingoism of Palacechook.

I get the COVID thing having been forced into a virtual lockdown with the countries first major outbreak at Ryde Hospital, resulting in hundreds of infections and 8 deaths at Dorothy Henderson which are within two kilometres of where I live. Not to mention having to make visits to Ryde Hospital during that time.

The SMH had an article about how Queensland is going to aggressively entice those from NSW and Victoria to holiday in Queensland. The commentary was telling. Pretty much along the lines why would you waste your money holidaying in Queensland when Palacechook could slam the borders shut when someone sneezes. Keeping Queenslanders safe!!! Well fuck me! Someone commented that there were over 300 comments and all but 10 were slamming Queensland and that from as they said an ALP leaning readership.

We considered a trip to Port Douglas and thought nah, we can’t risk it. Its the same with a trip to WA. Tiny minded provincialism that plays well domestically in those states.

I guess the non opening of the live blog and others might be a circuit breaker, especially with the current rape claims. It appears to close to the bone for survivors on that blog.

As for railing against Scotty the Stupid and the high panted little Joshie. Not a problem, a complete clusterfuck of a government. Irresponsible, incompetent I could go on. The make the worst government I can remember, Big Ears McMahon’s look competent.

8. Anyone else having trouble posting to the Guardian live blog and refreshing the page? Gone nuts since yesterday. Posts disappear or reappear an hour later and some never. Refreshing mostly hopeless.

• I’ve had similar. They are moderating the live blog though. I posted something the other day with the only thing that came up was that it was moderated.

I’m only commenting on Federal issues there now. I’m not bothering with the latest state COVID issues, pile on’s etc. Most the commentary is bordering on Stockholm Syndrome mentality. The only thing I will say is that Quarantine is a Federal Responsibility under the constitution.

• vivienne29 said:

Obviously not the same. Page just won’t refresh but this afternoon it seemed to fix itself. I like following the comments but when it wouldn’t refresh it became as good as useless. It has become rather repetitive. Morrison & Co keep lying, cheating etc and we all complain and repeat. But meanwhile we are all being denied our democracy and the pissweak useless MSM does not give a shit. I hope we do have an early election.

9. Disappointing at TGA. Getting pinged often when suggesting Craig Kelly and anything to do with donuts in the same sentence.

Liked by 2 people

10. vivienne29 said:

“Veteran Victorian Liberal MP Kevin Andrews has lost preselection for the federal seat of Menzies in Melbourne.” Sort of good news.

11. vivienne29 said:

Remember the TV show The Good Life? Daughter No.1 and family have just done that to their front yard with a small native garden shielding it a bit from the road/neighbours in suburban Wodonga. Backyard already full of vegies and a new chook pen and young chicks. It looks bloody marvellous. Still room for the kids to play.

12. algernon1 said:

Vale Gerry Marsden

13. algernon1 said:

Hmpp. Had a COVID test yesterday, hoping I’d get the results at the same speed as the Elder and Junior did recently, 7 hours each. Nothing! Patience for the negative result I guess.

14. Happy New Year, you Glorious Weirdos!

15. The Elder woke up with a sore throat today. COVID test this afternoon, left at 2:10 back by 2:30. See what happens when she gets the results probably sometime overnight. I doubt she has it.

• vivienne29 said:

Thinking of you and yours. I’m home after Christmas feasting we had with daughter and grandkids in Wodonga. Thankfully not much traffic so was smooth sailing. Think I’ll have a bit of a dry throat in the morning but I know it has a direct relationship with the sparkling reds I had.

• That’s good to here viv. Ours was fine, plenty of fresh air and two sitting areas.

The elders test came back negative last night at 9pm as we expected. The first of ten days off work, I’m guessing that had more to do with it.

16. vivienne29 said:

I hope you all have a happy day tomorrow. Love from me xoxoxoxo

Liked by 2 people

17. After Scotty the Stupid’s humiliation at the hands of Boris now we have this. Says it all really.

Liked by 1 person

18. vivienne29 said:

Good grief. I’ve just discovered by my new computer (all new software) can talk. It will read my emails out loud in a male American voice.

19. Another weekend and TGA again basically shut, Van Badham and First Dog open, spare me please. They have no idea how to get subscribers.

20. algernon1 said:

21. Just thought you’d like to know, that the village of Fucking, in Austria, is changing its name to Fugging, in the new year. The locals are known as fuckingers and Its street signs have regularly been tourist attractions for English speakers since the end of WW2. Up until 2005 the street signs were regularly souvenired by souvenir hunters.

Tarsdorf municipality’s mayor Siegfried Höppl stated in 2005, that it was decided to keep the name as it had existed for 800 years, and further stated that “[e]veryone here knows what it means in English, but for us Fucking is Fucking—and it’s going to stay Fucking.”

Since 2005, the signs have been made theft resistant. After that many would have pictures of themselves copulating in front of the sign much to the distain of the locals. In 2009 CCTV was installed in an attempt to stop this.

It appears times have changed or maybe the Fuckingers have just had enough and want to be left alone.

Its unknown if the village of Petting, 35 kilometres away in Germany, will follow suit and change theirs.

22. I’m back. Got hit by lightning. Phone, Modem and Ethernet in computer kaput. Have just had new computer, new modem etc installed this arvo. Been out of touch totally. But am very happy with my new gear. Got to catch up, with everything.

• Crikey Vivienne! That sounds a bit extreme… I’m glad it was only your computer and gear that got hit, and not you personally! Hope your insurance covered the cost of the new gear, too! 🙂

• vivienne29 said:

Hit a Testra thingy in the ground near the house. There was no storm, the lightning came as a complete surprise – one big whopper. So been a week of getting things fixed and getting things replaced. I’m claiming computer on insurance so expect to get bulk of it back minus $200 excess. Meanwhile i’ve been forced to update and it’s been a great thing in the end. Having been cranky all week, I am now a very happy Vivienne. (I was on the computer at the time and it all went zingy zappy but did not zap me !)

Liked by 1 person

• That’s no good Viv, did you lose much on the computer.

My desktop died two weeks ago and I hadn’t backed anything up for a while. Fortunately the schmick laptop was at hand. That was after problems with the modem which was the power supply. We need to connect to the NBN by the middle of January. We’d resisted that for a while, as we were getting double normal due to Covid. Co-indecently my computer ended up dying, the Elder ended up with problems and the printer would print. All resolved now. I’ll say this the connection is slower but the connection is more stable.

• Glad you are okay Viv

23. Gladys the hypocrite

24. Is it just me who is finding some of the commentary at TGA somewhat tedious lately.
    I’m not a fan of Binchicken and her government, her list of failures, are too numerous to fully list. Overpriced trains that don’t fit tracks and tunnels, ferries where you need to duck if they go under bridges. Toy trains that are more than double the price and where its faster to walk, building of unnecessary road with whopping tolls. Dead fish, destruction of koala habitat, pulling down of sporting stadiums just in case they opposition wins the election, the sale of the LTO against all advice and the moving of the Powerhouse to a flood plain, just to name a few.

I think her position is becoming untenable, with the shredding of documents where money has been allegedly sent to councils that didn’t ask for it and what she isn’t saying about what she knew with Darryl.

But I will give her credit and respect for her handling of last summers bushfires and much of her handling of COVID-19.

It is sad that Scotty the Stupid, continues to hold her and NSW up as the exemplar to score cheap political points in his marketing of his government lack of response to the pandemic. His playing of politics setting one state against the other is a failure of leadership, not that he’s a leader anyway.

It is also a failure or responsibility on behalf of the Commonwealth for them to ignore Private Aged Care, Quarantine along with International border control.

Now I’m no fan of state border closures, IMHO I think ring fencing areas would have been a better option, as nowadays state borders in the main are nothing more that lines on maps for those who live in those areas and Bureaucrats drawing lines saying who is in a bubble and who is not.

In this second wave I think Melbourne should have been ringfenced and closed. Instead we had the NSW Victoria border closed.

Binchicken should just shut up about them even if she has a point about the closure with Queensland.

Labor governments in Queensland and WA have weaponised this crisis to their own political advantage due to elections in those states. Palacechook repeated the “Keeping Queenslanders Safe” repeatedly since May. McGowan in WA, who was quite happy to ignore the International Laws of the Sea in the early days is now opening up given the year is now all but over and the election due in March.

Even Queensland’s blocking of people in Sydney because it’s a hot spot, their definition doesn’t hold up anywhere in the world outside of Queensland, just to spite Binchicken who keeps barking at her, smacks of pahrochial hokey pokeiness.
    Premiers have made mistakes as they will during this pandemic, its their response and the taking of some responsibility that is important. Which brings me to Victoria. I wouldn’t have wanted to be Dan Andrews or any premier for that matter having to deal it.

They made mistakes, some which they won’t acknowledge. But the commentary at the TGA is beyond ridiculous. Most can’t take their political blinkers off. Dan can do no wrong, even to question brings an ignorant pile on. Say anything in support of Binchicken brings much the same. Most the Queenslanders though are a special breed altogether, they just make stuff up.

I have no need to go to Queensland, but have missed significant events in WA. That’s just how it is during this pandemic. Life is fairly routine where a trip to the doctor seems like a highlight for the week. That’s not to say we don’t do things, we’re just careful where we go and what we do. We had a trip to Canberra recently, where it dawned upon me that have a different attitude to what we do here in dealing with this virus.

Family in WA are fearful if a case of COVID were somehow to get out. People aren’t prepared there, see it as something of a joke, isolation suits them well and has protected them.

My biggest fear would be Queensland, who I don’t think are prepared for an outbreak, the next which will inevitably come. The way they responded to two black girls, by naming them, showing where they lived is unconscionable behaviour from government, straight out state sanctioned racism. Yet two white girls that did the same thing were protected.

I guess this pandemic won’t be going anywhere soon, so little will change. Nor will much of the commentary at the TGA.

Liked by 1 person

• Agree. I’ve been dumped for not much twice in the last fortnight and yet others get away with blue murder. Starting lose interest in the site. Seems haphazard how they decide which articles to open and which ones stay closed.

Liked by 1 person

• Good example is KM’s article today not open for comment.

• Yes and the other days but Albo diatribe. Very unusual hers is not open on a Saturday.

• I’ve assumed it’s either staffing/Covid related or cost savings. Annoying though. Then some articles start off with no comments for hours but then suddenly open for comments.

• Apart from the COVID 19 thingie, Algae, it sounds very much like ‘politics as usual’ to me… I can’t be bothered to follow it any more. All we can expect is more stupidity and being sold out time after time to the ‘big end’ of town… i.e. to the banksters and their corporations.

Speaking of COVID and corporations, you should google an economist named Lynette Zang… she has some very interesting things to say about COVID and how it’s being used by the pollies globally to further their globalist Agendas 21 and 30…

I don’t want to say too much as I’m sure all you piglets are smart enough to draw your own conclusions, but I will say that, among other things, Zang believes COVID is being used as a smokescreen for the deliberate crashing of our economies (which were tanking anyway, even before the Dreaded Lergie struck!) as an excuse to introduce a cashless economy (as per the banksters’ long-cherished desires!) and to reset the global economy. (Which, I suppose will really start to be treated as a single, global economy after the reset… it already is to some extent, but they’re still at the ‘just tinkering’ stage.)

I watched a video of Bill Gates being interviewed about COVID this morning, and for some strange reason I couldn’t help but think he reminded me of ‘Lucky Larry’ (“So I told them to pull it!”) Silverstein… Doesn’t he have a ship-load of money invested in medical supply/pharmaceutical/vaccination companies? Isn’t he and a certain Dr Fauci, who I believe also ‘coincidentally’ had shares in the Wuhan Institute of Virology, whom we are asked to believe REALLY DIDN’T have anything to do with the leaking of a certain COVID 19 virus! Even though just across the road from the fish-market which IS supposed to have been the original source for this bat-virus… and even though the WIV WAS indeed experimenting with COVID viruses on such bats… Just another coincidence, I suppose. It certainly CAN’T be a conspiracy, could it? I mean, we ALL KNOW that such things as ‘conspiracies’ just DON’T HAPPEN, do they?

Yeah… just a coincidence… Like the stochastic theory of Empire! (No-one EVER wanted an empire, you know that, too, don’t you? They all just kinda happened… by accident!)

Oh well… that’s enough of a rant from me for one day. Truly I didn’t intend to write so much, but you know me when I get started on something… So, I’ll bid you all “G’day!” and return to my video game… (It’s so easy to retreat into fantasy when reality is such a load of old cobblers!) 😉

• Oops! I meant to say “Isn’t he (i.e. Bill Gates) and Dr Fauci likely to make out like bandits when they finally introduce a virus?” but I interposed a far too long parenthesis and forgot half of what I wanted to say… Oh well… now you’ll get the whole message, anyway…

Ciao for now… I’m going back to “Kingdom Come, Deliverance!” in which fantasy world the only disease we have to worry about is the Bubonic Plague and where most of the feudal lords are MUCH nicer, truer and nobler than what we laughingly refer to these days as, “Our brave and fearless leaders!” (Or sometimes, “Our Fuhrers!”)

Cy’all! 😀

25. algernon1 said:

Sign of the times. Just got our water rates and this very interesting statement was included.

A late payment fee of $0.00 (including $0.00 GST) or interest, whichever is higher, may be charged on overdue amounts. The current interest rate is 0.00% a year.

Guess there is no need to pay it then or on time