The Dump

The Dump is:
For posting comments that don’t get up at the Drum, and for having a pleasant, mirthful or enlightening off-topic discussion.
It’s not for personal abuse of other commenters.
Please do that somewhere else if you must.
Play nicely or piss off.
However, why doesn’t a poster add a link for us to read and comment on here, much quicker. Maybe we can do a bit more bagging here, not that I speak for the moderators, yet.

NB: Being tiresome and boring, racist, sexist or just plain creepy is not playing nicely.

give a crap

———-

The Pig’s Arms exists because a dozen or so years ago our other favourite playpen – the ABC’s Unleashed blogsphere started to go off.  Like a sack of prawn heads  in the sun.  Something had to be done.

Moderation was taking forever.  Comments seemed to be rejected randomly – outrageous ones appeared and reasoned ones were pinged.   When they released the Drum / Unleashed ….. things actually got worse !

So many pieces from professional writers appear with no obvious merit.  And the moderation has become, to put it frankly, appalling.

As a former contributor and a commenter, I was deeply disappointed at the plummeting quality from our pre-eminent media empire.  And I resented so many challenging or dare I say, witty or funny posts in which we’ve invested seconds of our precious time – getting the chop.

So here, for all our benefit – is an open slather blog.  Copy and paste your best rejected comments here for posterity.  Does not matter whether you’re posting on the Guardian, First Dog on the Moon or wherever else.

And sprinkle pointers to the Pig’s Arms amongst your comments.  Let’s try to rescue some of the old faithful.

Cheers,

Emm.

14904 thoughts on “The Dump”

1. vivienne29 said:

2. vivienne29 said:

Those fucking removalists came to my village, Jindera on Saturday 10 July. Put the wind up everyone. I was not at the servo that day, was there 28 June to fill up.

• Arriving before the infected people is ideal, especially if you then don’t have to go back for a fair while.

Had my second Astra Zeneca jab yesterday. Hurt a bit going in (last one was not felt at all), but no side effects so far.

The Channel 7 News clip somebody sent me of some poor bastard on life support at St Vincent’s is way better than Scotty from Self-Promotion’s awareness campaign.

Stay safe, our Dear Viv.

• vivienne29 said:

Daughter filled up there a few days later. As would many locals. The servo has a screen, it rarely has more than one person in there paying at one time. Just a regular flow or very quiet. These guys took a very tortured route home so there is some suspicion as to what else they might have been carrying. Extra worry is that this is within our precious border bubble zone. Testing clinics set up all happening.

• algernon1 said:

Why would they have gone through your village. The Hume Highway I get but not Jindera

• vivienne29 said:

Came to Jindera via Hay which is a long way out of the way. Some think they were delivering things other than furniture (drugs).

• algernon1 said:

From Hay you’d have thought they would have gone via Wagga or cross country through West Wyalong to Bathurst, not almost back to Albury. Doesn’t make sense.

• vivienne29 said:

See bits of Jindera on ABC website. It’s Urana Road btw.

3. vivienne29 said:

I just swore so loudly at the TV – some effing idiot Vic Lib leader (?) saying something entirely stupid – I woke up my near deaf darling little Lola (16 yo dog).

4. Here’s a good track

5. vivienne29 said:

I’m out of moderation. Yippee

6. vivienne29 said:

I’m being pre-moderated on the Guardian for daring to ask just what were the legal reasons for closing comments. It must be very serious. I think piss weak actually.

• algernon1 said:

Yes saw that viv. I’d love to know myself why they shut down for “legal reasons” at a moments notice. I’ve only been pre-moderated once it only lasted a day or so then back to normal. Got pre-moderated a couple of times at the ABC back in the day. Much the same.

• vivienne29 said:

Took 45 mins for first comment post pre-mod to come up. After that I made a few and they came up in a very short time. They don’t want to discuss it and I tested them by asking by posting again on same matter in fewer words. I think we have right to know. Nothing in the comments has ever stood out as being a reason for shutting down for legal reasons.

• I’ve pretty well given up the Guardian. They don’t seem to be very consistent.

7. vivienne29 said:

Update on battle with lovely possums. They found a way back in and we found a way to stop. Been fascinating. Tonight found had one possum stuck in garage up on the rafters. Shit everywhere. Could not get out. Was the one camping in cupboard full of old academic stuff. She made a noise an hour ago and I went to investigate. Found her on the rafters. Left back door open. Checked 10 mins later – gone. Door shut. Tomorrow – clean up the shit – little pellets. Feeling better, 85%.

8. vivienne29 said:

Wearing masks down here.

Got to own up to fact that on day 3 post my getting the AZ jab I was really crap. Short of breath, lost taste and felt decidedly shithouse. Today I feel about 80%. Been resting, resting. But I’m battling possums in roof. Long story but beating the buggers is hard. Found another spot where they can get in to garage. Daughters/son-in-law helping with wood and nails and ladders. Needed to replenish liquid refreshments today. Had to wash car – possums pissed all over windscreen. Got that done. Continue to rest. Tomorrow a short and quick trip to IGA for a few essentials.

Love to all.

• algernon1 said:

And to you Viv. I remember having a funny taste in the mouth for a day then it passed. I got caught out the other day forgot my mask and got attacked by a mask nazi when buying petrol. This person was having none of my sorry I forgot to bring it with me after saying the same thing to her three times she escalated to full on abuse. I must have said the same thing 5 or 6 times. Anyhow someone thought they’d say the same thing, to which I replied which part of I’m sorry I accidently forgot to bring one with me don’t you understand. Then the clot behind the counter said the same thing and then repeated the same thing.

I then noticed they had no QR code or sanitiser available.

Anyhow there is a packet of masks in the car now. What it drove home was that people are genuinely scared and the failure of leadership from Scotty the Stupid over just about anything to do with COVID only exacerbates that.

The elder went to Woolies on Sunday, she said the shelves were stripped of rice, pasta, dunny paper as well as there being no fruit and veg. It took the younger to our new IGA on Sunday to pick up a few things, much the same. Yesterday everything was back on the shelves. Our butcher who supplies the IGA reckons all their meat was stripped from the IGA on Sunday as well.

Like it has in the past all this will pass in a few weeks.

Liked by 2 people

• I published a piece on LinkedIn weeks ago telling Scott the stupid how to overcome vax reticence. Called a no fault insurance scheme with incentives. Done in most anglophone countries except here.

Now he’s discovered a new plan based on that – Astra forced onto kids by GPs – the kids can ask for Covid! Like they’re ever going to do that.

Fucking muppet

Toilet paper supplies and everything else are sound here – with the Marrickville metro expanding and adding a Coles to the Woolies and Aldi already there.

• algernon1 said:

Yep picked up a 32 pack of Sorbent at our IGA yesterday. They seemed to have plenty. I don’t get the whole panic buying thing when the shops are open every day.

• vivienne29 said:

Things pretty normal in village thank goodness. Got my taste buds back but took a while.

Liked by 2 people

• Sorry to hear that you are crook. Mrs M was the same post immunisation. She responded to intensive West Highland Terrier therapy….one dog either side of her in bed for 48 hours.

I don’t understand the obsession with masks. Treated like a social pariah for not wearing one, but can wander around wearing a sanding mask, or worse, one with an exhalation valve, no worries. The pleece are happy. Plenty of fines issued.

Liked by 2 people

• So true, masks and hand sanitizer can help but vax is the key. My 2nd jabs in late August. Looking forward to it.

If there was any need for vax proof it was that wedding when the only people who didn’t get the (delta variant) virus were the half a dozen fully vaxxed health workers.

• Actually, masks and hand sanitiser do f*&^ all.

The AZ vaccine is the first vaccine in the history of medicine that doesn’t prevent disease or transmission yet decreases one’s chance of death. Health authorities and governments the world over keep saying this yet are shocked and surprised when vaccinated folk contract and transmit the disease.

An anecdote about a wedding is hardly an epidemiological study!

Liked by 2 people

• vivienne29 said:

I’m not at all keen on getting the second jab. Don’t know what to do.

9. Hate to say it but I was right , Gladys still asleep behind the wheel and heading for the crash barrier. Howl me down all you like but when you are in the pockets of big business public health comes second. How many shredded Daryl McGuire’s do we need?????

Liked by 1 person

• I don’t know that she’s asleep at the wheel. It’s the egregious over-reaction to a handful of positive tests (I won’t call them ‘cases’ because the definition of a ‘case’ seems to have changed since I retired) that pisses me off.

I think she should have stood down after the “everybody deserves a little bit of love” McGuire affair, just as the inept Brad Hazzard should have left after the Ruby Princess cock up.

• It’s your life Big, gamble responsibly 🙂

• I dunno, I’ve never gambled.

• I was actually trying to be humorous but if you want a serious reply, I hate the LNP and everything they stand for especially how they have treated nurses over the years. Gladys puts business first and people second. A quick lockdown would have been the circuit breaker needed to stop the spread. You know more than most how hard it is to stop microbes. I worked on the first ward in NSW that had MRSA and saw the lengths they went to to stop it. Saying that we should be non complacent, wear masks, 1.5 metres etc., vaccinate with AZ is really piss poor.

• To be honest, both sides of politics have treated nurses badly. I seem to remember Keating resented giving us pay rises commensurate with similar workers. No, I agree that NSW hasn’t handled it very well, but I don’t agree that any sort of lockdown is of any use. Some of the recommendations make no sense. As we discussed some time back, how does a cheap, Chinese made, pretend medical mask prevent virus spread? How does standing up to drink in a bar put you at more risk that sitting on bar stools cheek by jowl? Why is one person per four square meters the magic number? I guess she’s probably only as silly as any other state leader anywhere in the world.

• PS, blokes still don’t wash their hands after taking a piss, from my observation.

Liked by 1 person

• Sounds like you are too busy watching other peoples dicks in public toilets, maybe a certain Fox News reporter was your mentor.

• I didn’t really see them, my husband’s boyfriend told me.

10. algernon1 said:

Will anybody be safe now that Barnyard Philanderer is back on the loose.

11. vivienne29 said:

5 hour post the jab and still no probs. Hope it stays that way. Thanks for the encouragement Algy. I’d been booked in four weeks ago.

• algernon1 said:

Good to hear Viv. See what happens tomorrow. I had mine about lunchtime one day and it came on about 5pm the next day. Took a couple of panadol before bed and woke up fine.

We had a near miss on Monday. Mrs A and I went to see Botticelli to Van Gogh at the NGA in Canberra, we were in the first slot at 9am. We left to head home about 11. Someone infected was there between 12 to 2pm the same day. We were on our way home by then.

• vivienne29 said:

So far all’s good. How did you like the display – see Van Gogh works up close would have been marvellous.

• algernon1 said:

It was terrific. Yes the Van Gogh was a highlight as was all the impressionists. As we were the first slot through, Mrs A went straight to the end where Sunflowers was and worked her way back. I enjoyed the lot. We wouldn’t normally go on a weekend let alone a long weekend, but it was the only time that suited and given everything in this COVID era one almost has to drop every thing and go.

Went to Braidwood on Saturday, how beautiful that trip from Canberra was. Ancestors are buried there, 4x Great Grandmother who died in 1849 and there is a headstone 4x Great Grandfather is unmarked. Quite a surreal experience.

• vivienne29 said:

I’ve always loved the Impressionists. Have a big book of Van Gogh’s works. Love Monet.

• vivienne29 said:

So went to check out that book on Van Gogh and darn thing is missing. No doubt lent to a friend and not been returned. Found another on the Impressionists and reminded myself how good was Georges Seurat. Van Gogh’s earlier stuff is of course another thing altogether.

• vivienne29 said:

Then I was reminded of our own McCubbin – terrific stuff.

• algernon1 said:

There was no book of the exhibition which was disappointing. There was a Van Gogh exhibition at the NGV a few years back, we flew down for it. The younger was in heaven with it. I liked the Gainsborough’s and Turners at this one.

There is an Impressionist exhibition at the NGV at the moment. My guess if we go we just drop everything and go, problem is the entry is by time slot. Which makes that difficult, as does COVID.

• vivienne29 said:

I remember reading about that VG exhibition. Maybe get a time slot and then fill in time having a gander at something else nearby.

• algernon1 said:

How so HOO. Questions need to be asked if the driver is vaccinated or was wearing the correct PPE. Here we are 18 months into this and Scotty the Stupid and his clusterfuck government still won’t take responsibility for quarantine. So the states are stuck taking up the slack. Well some states. Queensland is a laggard, barely taking anybody.

For all of that Binchooks doing OK with COVID generally, that and the bushfires are the only thing she gets a tick for from me. At least she treats us like adults which can’t be said for other states. I’d sooner be here than Victoria, months later putting in place measures that are standard elsewhere. Even the pressers, they say the same thing every day, you have to wonder the benefit. Then again most that state looks like they’re suffering Stockholm Syndrome.

We have family coming from WA in a few weeks. Interesting to see what McGowan does with this. Lets hope instead of his usual kneejerk reaction playing into the WA psychic, and actually see how it plays out.

Liked by 1 person

• I agree with Algy. Who cares about one case and how is Beryl responsible, I mean Glennis/Gladys? Masks are useless, especially in the hands of of non-medical/nursing people, and the vaccine is actually pretty piss poor. I’m not sure that quarantine is the federal government’s responsibility, but it is generally hit and miss. The WHO started denouncing lock downs months back but various governments are still hard at it.

To be honest, I was sick of the whole thing last year. If I were still working I would have resigned with the idiotic carry on that my colleagues still endure.

Liked by 3 people

• Started reading a new book by Michael Lewis called the Premonition . It’s about what the experts knew Years before Covid hit.

Breathtaking how long they’ve been ignored.

Remember when we had the millennium drought and people criticised Morris Iemma for spending big on the desalination plant ? I’m glad he did. We live on the edge of a fucking desert – driest inhabited continent – right here.

Well it’s the same thing – build the fucking quarantine facilities – Howard Springs style and just stop pissing around.

Muppets.

Liked by 3 people

• vivienne29 said:

I think Gladys is a bit of a gambler. Done okay so far. When will her luck run out?

12. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/11/chris-dore-defends-the-australian-against-claim-of-defamatory-abuse-of-abc-journalists

The Australian wouldn’t know quality journalism if it jumped up and bit it on the arse.

13. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/07/the-tech-billionaire-space-race-who-is-jeff-bezos-up-against

Just hope they get half way up there and the pilots decide they need a toilet break.

14. algernon1 said:

Just thought I’d post a comment here.

A comment.

Liked by 2 people

15. vivienne29 said:

16. algernon1 said:

17. algernon1 said:

Erica Betz bumped to an unwinable position in Tasmania. What a shame.

18. vivienne29 said:

Heard this on radio yesterday : very interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGT5QyA7Kn8

19. What to play in front of two drunks and a dog? classic comment Ace 🙂