The Dump

The Dump is:
For posting comments that don’t get up at the Drum, and for having a pleasant, mirthful or enlightening off-topic discussion.
It’s not for personal abuse of other commenters.
Please do that somewhere else if you must.
Play nicely or piss off.
However, why doesn’t a poster add a link for us to read and comment on here, much quicker. Maybe we can do a bit more bagging here, not that I speak for the moderators, yet.

NB: Being tiresome and boring, racist, sexist or just plain creepy is not playing nicely.

give a crap

———-

The Pig’s Arms exists because eight or nine years ago our other favourite playpen – the ABC’s Unleashed blogsphere started to go off.  Like a sack of prawn heads  in the sun.  Something had to be done.

Moderation was taking forever.  Comments seemed to be rejected randomly – outrageous ones appeared and reasoned ones were pinged.   When they released the Drum / Unleashed ….. things actually got worse !

So many pieces from professional writers appear with no obvious merit.  And the moderation has become, to put it frankly, appalling.

As a former contributor and a commenter, I was deeply disappointed at the plummeting quality from our pre-eminent media empire.  And I resented so many challenging or dare I say, witty or funny posts in which we’ve invested seconds of our precious time – getting the chop.

So here, for all our benefit – is an open slather blog.  Copy and paste your best rejected comments here for posterity.  Does not matter whether you’re posting on the Guardian, First Dog on the Moon or wherever else.

And sprinkle pointers to the Pig’s Arms amongst your comments.  Let’s try to rescue some of the old faithful.

Cheers,

Emm.

13917 thoughts on “The Dump”

1. vivienne29 said:

We’ve had a cool change. Won’t last too long but it feels so good.

• algernon1 said:

35 here at the moment. Looks like the changes is about Nowra currently so around lunchtime here. Looking forward to it. Haven’t had a cool day since Christmas Eve.

2. Here it’s been 40 to 43 degrees since Boxing Day.

• algernon1 said:

Yesterday was the first below (just) 32 since Christmas Eve, with most 36 or above. We had three days from 27 to 30th in the Hunter Valley, each of them 40-42.

• vivienne29 said:

Always hotter the further you go inland. I notice big difference between Sydney coast and say Parramatta or Penrith. We have a satellite just to get NSW ABC news otherwise it is all Victoria even though we are in NSW. Also Vic news is read from people in Canberra and their pronunciations of place names can be hilarious. I went to town and around yesterday and did the tip run but other than that we are inside, air con on and curtains drawn. Three outside trips to replenish bird baths. Doing a bit of evening watering of plants at front of house. Rest is survival of fittest. Trees looking a bit sad in places. Rainfall for 2018 was 10 inches less than 2017. Not good.

• algernon1 said:

Yes that I know viv. We’re about 10km west of the city (in line) and the difference is stark. I worked in the City and Parramatta as well as Penrith in recent years. We’re about the same as Parramatta temperature goes, maybe a degree either way at times. But compared to the city I could get off the bus and there could be a 5 degree difference, 10 on a hot day. Penrith is a different ball game temperature wise. I remember one day walking out of the office for the train. 47 degrees with a 30-40k wind blowing off the mountains pushing the apparent temp to more like 53-54.

Humidity is something else at the moment earlier than normal. Some mornings the air is that thick you could eat it.

• vivienne29 said:

When I lived in Sydney (Ashfield) I came out in hives on humid days – so it happened a lot. Calomine lotion in the evening. I worked on the Quay in air-con office so no problem during the day.

3. algernon1 said:

Happy New Year to all who come here.

Thought for the day.

The future is coming, Academics say.

4. Thoughts for the end of the year:

At the finish it was all over.

We stood on the edge of the abyss but since then we have made a big step forward.

And if you’re looking for money from the ATM,

Machine Accepts Reincarnation.

5. Thought for the day.

We are really lucky this year because Christmas falls on Christmas Day.

6. vivienne29 said:

Happy Christmas everyone and here’s to a great New Year. You know what I mean !

7. The radio contestant was asked.

On what day is Christmas Day traditionally celebrated each year?

Answer: Wednesday

Liked by 1 person

8. System seems to be fixing itself. Awaiting moderation ?

9. Testing

10. Testing.

11. I’ve had a couple of posts disappear. Anyone know how or why.

12. Interesting conundrum

Two apples give two apples and if you put together an apple and a pear they can’t give you two apples.

Liked by 1 person

13. Good fight over at TGA re the cricket. Thanks for the support AB.

14. algernon1 said:

From the local funeral home.

Funeral and Cremation Services

Stop in for our Open House on December 10 from 10am to 3 pm and take in the aroma of the Holiday Season.

15. vivienne29 said:

Just totally adore the video You Never Can Tell on homepage. Love it so so so much.

16. How are you Sydney-siders fairing with the flooding rains?

17. vivienne29 said:

Labor romps home in Victoria. Yay. Drinks all round – on me.

Liked by 1 person

• Thanks Viv, loving seeing the Liberal heartland being wiped out.. NSW next then Scotyy the Stupid.

Liked by 1 person

• Very well done! Don’t know whether NSW Labor is up to the job. Luke Foley grope was shocking and an otherwise lacklustre front bench.

• An ex work colleague, member of Albos branch used to say that the best thing going for the Libersls in NSW was Luke Foley. A Sussex Street hack who was as you say with the grope appauling. At least Daley has actually worked at something outside a political party.

I was speaking with an old Liberal mate, said I wasn’t convinced that Labor will win, however, the puppet Gladys can’t deliver anything other than fuck ups and monster cost over runs. Oddly the mate thought Labor would get up, due more to the backlash from Scotty the Stupid.

Liked by 2 people

• Too be honest, both sides are pretty Deplorable. Bill Shorten always looks like he’s been caught in the Ladies toilets. Morrison looks like he’s trying to muster up some testosterone. The Greens seem to be as finger friendly as old mate Foley. The only laughs come from Leyonhjelm, but the jokes are almost writing themselves.

Liked by 1 person

• Possibly Big. Problem is one or the other forms government. Hobson’s choice is what I was going to say last night.

Federally Bennelongs the place to be. “Star” candidate after fucking star candidate. The last genuine local candidate from either party was Nicole Campbell in 2004 . She actually reduced Howard a marginal candidate. Sure McKew bought a house in the electorate before she won. Now we have Brian Owler as the Labor candidate FFS. He lives in Wahroonga. On the Liberal side the local member has early stage Dementia and has no idea where he lives.

Last election we had some nurses union hack whi just moved into the electorate telling us all sorts of nonsense.

Talk about being treated like a mushroom. Last election we actually had a socially progressive independent candidate. He finished well 4th I think.

To be honest we’ve voted without much enthusiasm since 2010.

Liked by 1 person

• Our local state member is pretty good in terms of supporting the community, raising money for local charities, maintaining the rage against the public transport Fuck ups, but the others are in almost cast iron Labor seats and don’t give a shit.

• Ours is Victor Dominello, a Liberal. Elected in the Ryde byelection when John Watkins got out to preserve his integrity . Doesn’t do a lot other than look after the extended family. One of Gladys pretoriian guard. He’s on 10% but is doing a bit of sandbagging. Ryde always goes with government. The Labor candidate is a decent chap and currently Mayor. Runs his own business lives nearby.

• Murphy was a bit0 tetchy today.

18. vivienne29 said:

I may have mentioned this once before …. The last dust storm here was a ripper because as it hit Albury I was driving home and then it also rained and it rained mud. Massive amount of muddy rain – windscreen wipers barely coped – viewing area got smaller and smaller. No point in stopping as there was no where to pull over on long hill. I made it home the rest of the 24 km trip. The car was brown all over. Fortunately the worst of it did not hit our home.

• Really windy here is Summer Bay Viv. Has rained a lot lately so not much dust.

• vivienne29 said:

We had in recent days 34 points, 12 points and 13 points. Then it turned cold and had heating on. Unreal ! And it snowed in the mountains.

Mark, as a rough rule if you had 28 squares of roof for every inch of rain you’d get 2000 gallons in the tanks. Sorry it’s not metric. But you can scale it down and work it out if you’re interested.

• Thanks Viv. I live in a rented house and don’t know its dimensions. I think my tank holds 10,000 litres and it rains here in Congo fairly regularly. The trick is it has to rain at a certain rate to get to the tank due to the first flush diverters.
          Thunderstorms are good and I’m 200 metres from the beach so they get to my place no worries. If I run out of water it costs $200 and I can get that 7 days per week and one load should refill the tank.

• vivienne29 said:

Unless you have verandahs and a huge attached garage and if its just three bedrooms your roof area is probably half mine. We measure rain gauge and so know how we fare – gauge must be well away from building or trees. Your water carting fee is darn cheap.

• My house is only two bedroom and I reckon by pacing it out it’s 132 sq metres. We get 842 mm of rain per year so do I multiply the two to get my annual potential capture?

Liked by 1 person

• Potentially 110 thousand litres per annum, but, as you say, theres a cycle of flushing down pipes and protracted periods when the tank is already full.We have a ten thousand litre tank which we only use for the garden. I’m sure it’s contaminated with rotting leaves, etc.

• Like me then, rotting…

Liked by 1 person

• PS: Thanks for the info.

• We had a storm here last night. Lasted 20 minutes and cooled things down. All we had was lanterns for Loy Krathong. That and a Thai sorgasbord

19. Can Sydney based patrons tell us how the dust storm is going.

• Sorry Viv , I’m by the beach in Thailand at the moment. I can tell you the skies are clear here today and the water temperature just right.

• vivienne29 said:

I think you mentioned a trip to Thailand. Hope you’re having a great time and eating yummy stuff. There’s photos of Sydney and orange dust storm. Wondering if it’s coming into homes – you might have a surprise when you return with a lot of vacuuming to do!

• The Elder is at home, so most should be OK. Not much cleaning up last time.

Had a dinner of three different kinds of fish, seabass, salmon and groupa last night. Very nice. Mrs A as a small fracture in her elbow which is making the holiday passive. Collar and cuff sling but no plaster. We’ve got as cloth sling so she can go in the water. It will go too quickly

• Junior sent a message. Reckons I wasn’t as bad as 2009. Just came and went. Watched BBC who mentioned the storm. Pictures of Broken Hill , Sydney and Canberra as though they were next to one another.

20. Just seeing if I can post something.

21. Todays weather:

There is a fifty percent chance of wet rain.

22. Some things for consideration:-

You may be at risk for throat cancer if you:
    Smoke or chew tobacco
    Have a throat or mouth

Or perhaps this:-

His precision is so precise

Or these words of wisdom:-

The older you get, you understand. You really don’t understand it, you accept it.

23. algernon1 said:

Any thoughts on the cup today. I’m thinking Rooting King, from Phallic Symbol with Date Chaser not far behind

24. vivienne29 said:

Hello all. I’m fine. Hoping for rain soon. Got a few drops yesterday.

25. algernon1 said:

Wisdom of the week:

Everything is false ………… except some things.

On a church sign nearby