Recipe from our Chef du Jour Vivienne
Make this on the day you want to eat it. Great as a pre-dinner/bbq/party nibble.
One whole skirt steak (which makes the quantity shown on the tray ready for the oven).
Usually too long, so cut in half and then cut into strips starting from what was the side – that is, you cut with the grain, not across it. Where meat is thicker, tip strip on to side and cut in half again.
In a glass bowl mix:
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 2 minced cloves of garlic (I’ve use fresh and the jar stuff, either are fine)
- Half a cup of brown sugar (not the dark stuff)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (although I think I used more like a dessert spoon)
- 3 tablespoons of kepjac manis
- 3 tablespoons of regular soy
- Salt – about 1 level teaspoon
- Some pepper
Add the meat and ensure well coated.
Marinate for minimum of 1 hour but no more than 1 and a half hours – no need to put in fridge as is best at room temperature in your house.
Place on racks on a tray. Close together.
Preheat oven to 140c and cook at least 1 and a half hours (up to no more than 2 hrs) – this depends on your oven (they do vary). My oven is not fan forced.
Cool a little. Eat