The Dump

The Dump is:
For posting comments that don’t get up at the Drum, and for having a pleasant, mirthful or enlightening off-topic discussion.
It’s not for personal abuse of other commenters.
Please do that somewhere else if you must.
Play nicely or piss off.
However, why doesn’t a poster add a link for us to read and comment on here, much quicker. Maybe we can do a bit more bagging here, not that I speak for the moderators, yet.

NB: Being tiresome and boring, racist, sexist or just plain creepy is not playing nicely.

give a crap

———-

The Pig’s Arms exists because eight or nine years ago our other favourite playpen – the ABC’s Unleashed blogsphere started to go off.  Like a sack of prawn heads  in the sun.  Something had to be done.

Moderation was taking forever.  Comments seemed to be rejected randomly – outrageous ones appeared and reasoned ones were pinged.   When they released the Drum / Unleashed ….. things actually got worse !

So many pieces from professional writers appear with no obvious merit.  And the moderation has become, to put it frankly, appalling.

As a former contributor and a commenter, I was deeply disappointed at the plummeting quality from our pre-eminent media empire.  And I resented so many challenging or dare I say, witty or funny posts in which we’ve invested seconds of our precious time – getting the chop.

So here, for all our benefit – is an open slather blog.  Copy and paste your best rejected comments here for posterity.  Does not matter whether you’re posting on the Guardian, First Dog on the Moon or wherever else.

And sprinkle pointers to the Pig’s Arms amongst your comments.  Let’s try to rescue some of the old faithful.

Cheers,

Emm.

14161 thoughts on “The Dump”

1. Third evacuation since new years day. This is becoming tiresome. The staff are fantastic and you get fed and watered but I don’t really know what to do. Our village has been spared every time however you never know what you are going to come back to. Keep praying to Gordon I suppose.

Liked by 3 people

• algernon1 said:

Mate that’s not good but at least you’re safe. At least you haven’t had Scotty the Stupid invading and trying to shake your hand, small mercies.

Liked by 1 person

• Hey, Sister, glad to hear that you’ve had three evacuations in as many days. Sounds like it’s a regular occurrence. I guess you won’t need the Metamucil Rescue Package that Granny put together.

Liked by 3 people

• Just as long as you stay safe HOO… and still have something to go home to!

I just got back from Girgarre… as I drove into Victoria you could see smoke even on this side of the border, though it looked like a mist at first. I could tell it wasn’t a mist though, as that would have disappeared as the day warmed up, but it didn’t, and it seemed to get a bit thicker as I drove into the heart of the state.

The Moosic Muster was a blast! And a great success… more musos there than you could poke a stick at! (And some of them could REALLY play, too!) Was a very friendly event, especially as I now knew some of the regulars… and I’ll probably be joining that crowd too, as I really enjoy it, even though Girgarre is really harder to find that pork balls at a bar-mitzvah! I got lost (again!) and ended up within spitting distance of Echuca before I realized I’d gone too far… Retraced my steps more than maybe I should have, but eventually saw a sign for Mitiamo, and even though Mitiamo is somewhat out of the way, remembered that that was where I’d got help from the old girl who ran the Mitiamo Post Office and general store, so I headed for there again. She didn’t remember me, but she and her friend managed once more to point me in the direction of Rochester, and I managed to find my way from there, as I’d memorized that bit of the map and knew that Girgarre was right on Winter Road, which starts just out the other side of Rochester. Problem solvered! 😀

Must say that in spite of the smoke in the air (which seemed to clear up by the next morning, anyway), we weren’t troubled by bush-fires at the Moosic Muster, as the nearest one was about 200 kms away near Albury-Wodonga… I can’t help but feel almost guilty about that! But we did have a grass-fire on the Thursday (or maybe it was Friday… at events like this the days all seem to run together!) just a few kilometers down the road from where we were, but it was quickly brought under control by the local CFA, helped by a reasonable dollop of rain that night.

Hope Vivienne is still safe too! I returned to several worried messages on ‘Linked In’ from my little sister, Debbie, who’s heard about the bush-fires and was worried about me. (Isn’t that sweet? Nice to know someone cares!) I reassured her as soon as I saw the messages… That’s all my news, and I hope the rest of the piglets are all safe too!

• vivienne29 said:

I was thinking of you. I have had no internet or email since 3 Jan when I was supposed to start my new Bigpond ADSL connection. My old provider has gone out of the business. Trying to convince providers I am not NBN ready has been impossible. The stupid Smart modem Telstra insist you have did not work. I have spent 12 hours on the phone getting a different story. Been horrific. Got a dongle for hubby’s laptop and had that to share and get news of the world for a few days. I’ve been totally disconnected. This morning got the modem to work but have no email as yet (they have a problem).

We have a fire just down the road and one up the road and a power black out all Friday night when the winds were terrible. All local brigades to the rescue.

Big fire near Wodonga too. Local brigades have been fighting the big fires to the east. They really aren’t far away. All the precious forests and wildlife killed is so so sad.

Hope Mark is staying strong – it’s very testing and exhausting being on constant alert.

Love you all.

Liked by 2 people

• It’s good to hear from you again Vivienne, and to know that you’re still safe, though the fires up and down your street sound very worrying. Are they under control now? I hope so! And I also hope you’re prepared and manage to evacuate in time if the fires get any more threatening than they are already! Stay strong yourself, too! And don’t wait ’til it’s too late! :-/

• vivienne29 said:

Local fires are out. It was a worry though. Exploding transformer caused one but don’t know about the other. I think someone did something stupid. We are sick of the smoke, some days have to put car lights on. We are 24 kms NNW of Albury, 6 kms from our village. Thanks for your thoughts. We should be fine but we are angry and sad. So glad those people in Cobargo gave Morrison what for.

Liked by 2 people

• vivienne29 said:

PS: It is not a street. It is a gravel road. It’s rural.

• Glad to hear your local fires are out… I can understand your anger, and your sadness and I’m not surprised you’re sick of the smoke. Yes, I’m glad the people of Cobargo gave Scomo what for, too! Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke!

Should have known it was a gravel road, too… hope it’s a LONG one! 😉

Liked by 1 person

2. Just back from my second evacuation. Many thanks to the RFS and all the volunteers who helped around 2000 people who attended the showgrounds. The fires missed my little village but some weren’t so lucky and lost everything. We had fires in every direction and Saturday you couldn’t tell the difference between day and night and very smoky. Everything covered in ash. Now it’s raining.

3. algernon1 said:

This managed to get a New York Times pick. My first one

Algernon
    Sydney Australia38m ago
    Times Pick
    Not a day goes by now that our Prime Minister isn’t abused by somebody. He’s largely bought it on himself. He denies climate change is real, refused to meet with fire chiefs and former fire chiefs who said in March that this fire season would be catastrophic and that plans to ameliorate their intensity should be taken then. This is also a PM who takes a lump of coal into the parliament and thinks its a joke. He also says now is not the time to talk about any of this. Takes off on a secret holiday in Hawaii and gets his office to lie about his whereabouts.

Yesterday he makes an ad showing him to be a man of action, it makes you sick. He also lied about requests made by the states.

Yesterday it was 47 degrees C or 116 degrees F where I live 2 degrees C warmer west of here. Our warmest ever day. Days over 40 used to happen maybe 1-2 times a summer. This summer and late spring we have them weekly.

The biggest problem this nation has is the lack of leadership shown by our PM. The thing is he’s no leader at all. His handling of this catastrophe is being compared to GW Bush during Hurricane Katrina

Reply23 RecommendShare

Liked by 2 people

• Stunning synopsis, Algy.

• algernon1 said:

Thank you Emm. It’s a little different educating the Americans who a quite receptive.There horror and disgust to what they see as federal inaction. The u appear to see Scotty the Stupid as a complete idiot out of his depth like the orange buffoon.

• algernon1 said:

I might add a little to this with some of the responses to what I posted. RWNJ’s who are just plain ignorant or fail comprehension. This one from Jackie who missed that we came from the same city.

Jackie
          Sydney9h ago
          @Algernon
          You are not telling the whole story.
          The states are in charge of their own Fire Service and not the Federal Government.
          You are laying blame on Our Prime Minister for political reasons.This is why he was voted in so soundly as he backs hazard reduction in the bush.We are now seeing the result of Green and Left policys of not clearing and burning off the fuel on the ground in Winter.
          In the USA you are not hearing the anger of the people who have lost their homes that begged to be able to clear the undergrowth in bush in their area but were fined if they did so.Especially in Gippsland,home of the left green Government.Again only selected reporting in the NY Times.
          The first changes to be made here now are
          increased Hazard Reduction to burn off and clear the bark,branches and undergrowth of euchalyptus trees just like the Aborigines have done since the year dot.Read some history of our country,these fires have always
          occurred.

Similar from Carolyn, who feels the need to be an apologist for Scotty the Stupid, who like Jackie feels the need to blame the Greens. Oh and this government has only been uin for a very short period of time, WTF. I’m surprised she didn’t blame the self
          combusting manure.

Carolyn
          Sydney9h ago
          @Algernon he has been in leadership for a very short time, yet people are complaining about things that previous government have done or he has little control over. If the foolish Greens didnt go on and on about stopping back burning before summer. I have plenty of family next to bush, yet 2019 had extremely little back burning compared to the numerous in previous years as people complained it was bad for environment and animals. What about the arsonists? Where is there media coverage? People are more interested in blaming the leader who from the powers from the constitution has no power with forestry, as this is the sole power of each state. A national emergency does not cover forestry, so the Prime Minister can only support snd give funds to State, in the hope they use it wisely.

Steven and Diane Williams are on the money though.

Stephen
          Melbourne7h ago
          @Algernon And this is a prime minister who declares one minute disaster management is a state responsibility, and then, a few days late (after much criticism) calls out the ADF reserve, deploys military assets and procures more water bombers than anyone asked for – and then puts out a promotional ad – with an upbeat jingle – to boast about what he’s done to help!
          It’s all about him (sound familiar NYT readers?).

Dianne Williams
          Canberra7h ago
          If something is broken make an ad to show it’s fine! Ugh. I could not believe that he thought now was a good time to put out party political propaganda. If everything else showed that Scomo is completely out of touch this is the just the cherry of hypocrisy on top of the cake.

Liked by 1 person

• Don’t be taken in by that ‘stupid’ act, Algae… it IS just an act! As with Dubya… but he knows what he’s doing. He just doesn’t have the same set of priorities that ‘We the People’ have.

• algernon1 said:

I’m not taken in by the stupid act Asty, I’ve labeled him Scotty the Stupid and used the moniker since he was elected and use it at nearly every opportunity. On this fire catastrophe he has no idea what he is doing, his actions are stupid.

• Well… maybe. Somehow I just can’t help but think it’s not so much that he’s stupid as that he just doesn’t care. Even with this fire emergency. He cares more about his image than about displaced people with destroyed homes and lives… I suppose to some extent that IS stupid, though.

4. algernon1 said:

Penrith smashed its heat record this afternoon which was 46.9, now at 48.4. It’s been over 46 where I live. Never gone over 46 here before.

• I must say it surprised me when it went to 47C here in Adelaide last year (or at least, in Smithfield Plains, anyway!) And this year too. Hope we don’t get too many more days like that… I pity the people in Penrith. And the electrickery companies charge an arm and a leg for the electrickery to run the air conditioning these days, too! Mercenary bastards!

• algernon1 said:

Peaked at 47.1 here and 48.9 at Penrith. AC is working well today.

• Hi Algy. We had one installed in the kitchen family / dining room about a month ago. Money well spent. Solar powered costs nothing to run in daylight hours.

Too bad batteries are not yet economical.

• algernon1 said:

Ours work off the solar panels too. Still get bills but at a fraction of what they would be.

• Costing a few bob as we speak but after 10:00pm the rate goes way down. Worth it on these too hot to sleep otherwise nights.

• I have solar panels too… but I ended up being ripped off by the solar installation company (Town and Country Solar), who swindled me into signing over my STCs to them, and thus ended up paying twice as much as I should have for them.

On top of which I only seem to benefit in summer… my bills are relatively low then, but they make up for it in winter, when heating sends them through the roof because as a disabled person, a) I’m at home and using electricity all day, every day, b) the electrickery companies have jacked up their prices so much since installation, and c) the ‘feed-in tariff’ has been lowered considerably since then too.

The fact is I’m probably spending just as much, averaged out over the year, as I was before I had solar installed. They tell me that if I didn’t have solar panels I’d be paying even more… That’s what’s generally known as ‘cold comfort’… especially in winter!

Frankly I suspect this ‘solar’ fad is just another gravy train… and while I think that yes, the climate is warming, I’m really no longer at all sure that it’s cause is anthropogenic… remember Graham Bird? Can’t help but think he was right… Have you heard of ‘Milankovic Cycles’? And do you realize how little, relatively speaking, that human generated CO2 is when compared to natural emissions?

Whatever is causing warming, its NOT CO2… the long term climate graphs taken from ice-cores strongly suggest that warming happens first and CO2 levels follow… after a delay of a couple of centuries. The so-called ‘Hockey-Stick’ they used to frighten the public with was based on an error of scale, which has been discovered but never rectified. They’re using fear as a lever with which to manipulate us, as always! And exploiting the fears of the young to do it, too!

Tbh, these days I don’t know what to believe… government objections to action on climate change (which would probably be futile anyway, if based on CO2 levels!) seem to be a means to get ‘we the sheeple’ clamoring for exactly that kind of ’emergency’ action… which they know will have little or no effect, except to help them a) profit from all the distress and fear, and b) enable them to deprive us of even more of what few rights and/or ‘freedoms’ we have left. Especially when 5G is adopted globally, which will be a totalitarian nightmare!

Stop the world! I want to get off! :-/

5. vivienne29 said:

The smoke haze here is bad – been crook for a long time but today worse. Son in law has been taken off logistics for fire fighting and now to do it with ag people who assess and put down animals and all the horror of the aftermath. Victorian State Government employees are actively involved. Morrison should mandate the Defence forces are all trained in fire fighting. He should commit many millions to buying a standing national fleet of fire fighting planes, helicopters. The gutless wonder doesn’t have a fucking clue.

• algernon1 said:

You’re asking Scotty the Stupid to demonstrate Leadership. Problematic, he gas NFI.

• vivienne29 said:

Cobargo people told him what they thought of him good and proper. Yet he still wandered around with a stupid look on his face and seemed oblivious to what he’d done and why they were so angry.

• algernon1 said:

Scotty the Stupid doesn’t like it when he’s questioned, or when people are hurling abuse at him, he’s not even liking reporters questioning him and holding him with contempt. Two opinion pieces in the SMH hold no punches.

I’ll give Gladys Binchicken her due, she fronts up to press conferences and quietly get on with things though the Minister fro Emergency services, impersonating police and thumping teenagers sees fit to impersonate Scotty the Stupid. Andrews in Victoria is no nonsense. Both in their own way are doing their jobs.

Scotty the Stupid is looking for photo opportunities, he’s clueless, no Leadership skills whatsoever.

Liked by 1 person

• I don’t think he’s really stupid, Algae… he just looks that way to normal people because he obviously doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself and his own political career, which is ensured just as long as he totally ignores the needs, demands, and/or wishes of ‘We the People’ of Australia.

In fact I think ‘Scotty the Sell-out’ would be a more appropriate nickname for him, as his ‘stupidity’ consists largely of his having sold ‘We the People’ of Australia down the river to his corporate masters. It’s a survival strategy… of a sort. (Of a dirty, conniving, low-down, self-interested, scum-sucking sort!)

The real problem is that he’s not alone… most of our so-called ‘political leaders’ have already done the same, and those that haven’t are probably just not in an important enough position to warrant the interest of said corporate masters. I’m convinced that only sell-outs are allowed anywhere near parliament house these days. RIP Democracy… which finally succumbed, after a prolonged illness, when Gough Whitlam was ousted by the CIA (the American branch of The Mossad).