The Dump

The Dump is:
For posting comments that don’t get up at the Drum, and for having a pleasant, mirthful or enlightening off-topic discussion.
It’s not for personal abuse of other commenters.
Please do that somewhere else if you must.
Play nicely or piss off.
However, why doesn’t a poster add a link for us to read and comment on here, much quicker. Maybe we can do a bit more bagging here, not that I speak for the moderators, yet.

NB: Being tiresome and boring, racist, sexist or just plain creepy is not playing nicely.

give a crap

———-

The Pig’s Arms exists because eight or nine years ago our other favourite playpen – the ABC’s Unleashed blogsphere started to go off.  Like a sack of prawn heads  in the sun.  Something had to be done.

Moderation was taking forever.  Comments seemed to be rejected randomly – outrageous ones appeared and reasoned ones were pinged.   When they released the Drum / Unleashed ….. things actually got worse !

So many pieces from professional writers appear with no obvious merit.  And the moderation has become, to put it frankly, appalling.

As a former contributor and a commenter, I was deeply disappointed at the plummeting quality from our pre-eminent media empire.  And I resented so many challenging or dare I say, witty or funny posts in which we’ve invested seconds of our precious time – getting the chop.

So here, for all our benefit – is an open slather blog.  Copy and paste your best rejected comments here for posterity.  Does not matter whether you’re posting on the Guardian, First Dog on the Moon or wherever else.

And sprinkle pointers to the Pig’s Arms amongst your comments.  Let’s try to rescue some of the old faithful.

Cheers,

Emm.

14555 thoughts on “The Dump”

1. algernon1 said:

Happy New Year one and all.

2. vivienne29 said:

A fire fighter from Albury has been killed fighting fires at Jingellic/Talmalmo, east of Albury. Truck rolled in extreme wind. Too sad.

3. vivienne29 said:

Only 41 here but ABC website says it feels like 38. I’ll tell you what it feels like – it’s a bloody hot oven. Feels like 44 at least. Usually is hotter here as Albury closer to river. We’re 25 kms NNW.

• 26 here ATM. Feels warmer. Had dinner with an old friend last night at North Sydney, he was wondering where this 40 degrees was yesterday, he was walking around in 26-28. Told him it was 40 at our place, we’re less than 10ks west of there. Odd he grew up in Sydney and now lives on the Gold Coast. You’d think he’d know that across Sydney the temperature depends on how far inland the sea breeze reaches.

Liked by 1 person

• Peaked at 44 today darn hot! Change on the way in the next hour 21-25 for the evening.

• Was over 40 most of last week here in Smithfield Plains… one day was 47… VERY hot. It’s relatively pleasant now, but warming up to 44 by Friday. Then a few more cool days, thank Gord!

I’m thinking of going to Girgarre, for the Moo-sic Muster next week… I went to the event last January too, and it was great fun but very hot, though just a couple of degrees over the 40 mark.

I’m just hoping it won’t be so hot this time, but it could end up being even hotter… and as it’s a camping event with no power, there’s no air-conditioning to be had for love nor money! Oh well… we’ll see. If the forecast is too ominous I may just stay home and hug my air-conditioner!

Enjoy the cool change, Algae! 🙂

4. A guardian pick for you Viv, well done.

5. vivienne29 said:

The Nindigully Pub which features on our Home Page features on Back Roads tonight on the ABC. Famous for its burgers. We’ve got the wrong menu !

Liked by 2 people

6. Compliments of the season to all who come here. May today be a safe and happy one for all of you.

Liked by 4 people

7. Two guardian picks in two days. Amy’s yesterday and Lenore’s today.

Liked by 1 person

• Saw that, well done. Won’t ever happen to me.

• vivienne29 said:

Around 4 pm today – we were thinking and posting much the same thing at same time. Yay

• Great minds thinking alike Viv. 🙂

• vivienne29 said:

Thousands have torn Morrison’s ghastly behaviour to shreds. On Facebook here and there, the Guardian etc. People are furious. Just hope they never forget.

Liked by 2 people

• So do I. I saw an explained on the BBC. Eight minutes of pointing out what an idiot Scotty the Stupid is and how ignorant his argument is.

The thing is he’s so fucking Stupid he doesn’t realise how angry people are and how out of touch he is.

• A large part of the problem, Vivienne, is that ‘We the People’ of Australia still keep on imagining that we live in a Democracy, where our ‘leaders’ actually represent ‘We the People’… Nothing could be further from the truth, though the pretense of ‘democratic elections’ are held regularly just to keep us all thinking exactly that way!

In fact what we have is a plutocracy, ruled over (NB: NOT ‘governed’) by (ultimately largely Zionist-owned) multi-national corporations, whose real loyalties do not even attach themselves to Australia in any way, shape or form… and all we have left is the pretense or ‘facade’ of a democracy.

I call it ‘Demockery’ because, by pretending to be a democracy, it adds insult to injury by mocking that very form of government. I don’t even bother to vote, because it only encourages them to think that their deception is still working.

Hope you and all the piglets have a lovely Christmas (or Dionysia, or Saturnalia, or whatever!) anyway! 😀

• vivienne29 said:

Yes, Algy – I watched that BBC video too – brilliant. Better than our coverage.

• Yes they are unrestrained unlike our media. Watched the ABC news last night Scotty the Stupid there high fiving at Mudgee, if I was there I’d be turning my back. Also the disaster interview for Stupid on Sunrise yesterday was reduced an out of context soundbite. The interview that should have been friendly was the interviewer having none of his bullshit.

8. vivienne29 said:

FYI – down here on the Vic/NSW border we are shrouded in the smoke from the dreadful fires north. It’s effing hot, it’s bloody dry and has been for ages. Less than half a ‘normal’ year’s rainfall. I’m filling bird baths three times a day. We are also awash in news of all the fires in NSW, Vic and SA. We’ve had a few small ones close. It just feels unsettling all the time.

So sad about those two dead firies. A few years ago we too lost two young ones, a young woman and a bloke due to tree falling on their vehicle as they returned from mopping up operations.

• So the smoke has spread that far. Todays walk was at least in the “fresh” air between the smoke clouds. It will get worse today, winds, 42-43 smoke everywhere. Nowadays it seems the new norm, smoke for the last 2-3 months, fires since the end of August.

Never seen anything like it, ringed by fires stretching from the Hunter to the Illawarra. Let’s hope not no further loss of life or properties lost.

You just wish it would rain, we’re potentially looking at a dry month, a 50% chance of any rain on Tuesday is the best chance. It’s dry, the grass is turning to dust, the car is covered in ash and dust.

• vivienne29 said:

Yep – we’ve had the smoke for quite a while. 29c at 9 am.

• 40 midday apparently, 28 now

• We’re up to 38 now. Fire in Gippsland has doubled overnight.

• I saw that the Gippsland fires have increased dramatically. 34 here at the moment and climbing with the winds picking up. Did the shopping earlier jumped 6 degrees in 30 minutes. The Herald said the NSW bushfires have burnt 4m ha since July. That’s only 0.5m off 73-74 fires and they were on the plains.

Oh and a Guardian Pick on Amy’s blog this morning.

9. vivienne29 said:

The bushfire situation has just become serious. Morrison is coming home.

10. vivienne29 said:

Hi everyone. Nurse Barbara here to let you know that today is Vivienne’s 70th birthday so I’ve put money on the bar for all to enjoy a few pints of Pink whatevers to celebrate. The party was held on Friday as 29th is also her daughter’s birthday and all were free to gather and enjoy fresh crayfish from Nowra. Unfortunately one son-in-law was called to fight the fires in NE Victoria and so Vivienne had two cray halves – a task which she managed with much ease to the surprise of no one.

Liked by 1 person

• Very kind of you, I’ll have a glass canoe of best!

Wonderful news Viv, congratulations on reaching your three score and ten. I hope they are many more for you. Two halves of a cray, good for you. Washed down by something nice I hope.

• vivienne29 said:

Indeed – Brown Brothers Sparkling Shiraz Durif, chilled. In other good news we have a little rain here.

• algernon1 said:

Good to hear. We had a storm here the other day. Mrs A and I went out to lunch, Went to park the car just before it started and by the time we came out, all of five minutes it had gone. Far worse not far away though.

• Happy birthday, Vivienne… and many more! I’ll have a pint of Trotters, please!

Slainte! (Pronounced, ‘Slange’, or ‘slaunche’… Gaelic for ‘Good health’!)

It’s been a bit rainy here in SA too over the last few days.

• vivienne29 said:

Good wine is good for good health !

Liked by 1 person

• And good beer, too! (I’m replying to my own comment ’cause yours didn’t have a ‘reply’ button attached!)

They say “Guinness is Good For You!” and I’ve been drinking a few pints of it lately, as I’ve been gigging regularly at the Irish Club… Seems they like me and my mate, Paul O’Donnell there! Paul also plays Bodhran and sings with another band called ‘Gallowglass’, who have just released an EP.

Our band, ‘Parting Glass’ (really just a duet with me and Paul) has also been invited to do an actual PAYING gig at the King’s Head on Wednesday 11th of this month. Should be fun!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday! 😀

• vivienne29 said:

Wonderful – being paid to sing means you must be good. Glad you are so enjoying yourself.

• Thanks Vivienne!

Don’t know about the ‘being good’… ‘Popular’, perhaps. (But I can’t help thinking that Gary Glitter was quite popular at one stage!)

But I think I have certainly improved considerably since my accident (over 10 years ago now!) as music was the one thing that kept me sane (more or less!) until I discovered kayak fishing! So I’ve been doing a lot of learning and a LOT of practicing!

And yes, having a lot of fun too! 😀

• Happy Birthday, Vivienne!

A nice combo, decent wine and a little rain!

Liked by 1 person

• Happy birthday Viv, trust you had a great day.

11. vivienne29 said:

I said both Morrison and Taylor should resign – not fit to hold office – both liars and cheats. Got wiped for writing the truth.

• Over the last two days though inundation of comments saying the same. Yesterday was simply a disgrace by the government, then to lose the integrity Bill. Labor should just put the boot in all next week.

Liked by 2 people

12. vivienne29 said:

Sea Monster strikes at me again. Pathetic and wrong. Must have made his day. So lonely and wanting to be noticed.

• Checked it out this morning – he went on to argue, changing but thinking not changing and then argued with himself.

• Yep saw that late yesterday. He’s been at it for years. He seems to be avoiding me in recent days, doesn’t seem to think people remember some of the shit he writes, particularly when its telling about himself.

13. Today is World Hello Day and Beaujolais Nouveau Day. Just though you may want to know.

14. vivienne29 said:

Sea Monster still doing the trolling of Pigs Arms patrons. Must be lonely sod.

Re the Royals – I don’t give a fuck about any of them.

• He doesn’t change does he. You think he’d give up by now. Doesn’t like it when he’s caught out either.

Yes I couldn’t care less about any of those accidents of birth myself. But Prince Nonce went on the BBC saying he wasn’t a nonce was unaware of a friend a convicted sex trafficker having underage girls at his house and hand not had sex with a 17 year old. couldn’t remember her. He could remember in precise detail a visit to a Pizza Express in Woking in April of 2001, down to the date and time with his daughters as an alibi. This led to many a wag posting fake reviews, which have now been taken down, of the said pizza express. They were good for a laugh.

• The Royals,waste of DNA.

Liked by 1 person

• I used to think that they served some useful purpose, but when one is ‘too Honourable ‘ to not stay with a paedophile???

It beggars belief.

Liked by 1 person

• Yes bring tourist pounds to London I guess as well as costing a fortune every time they slum it with the plebs. I think noncing is inbred into them.

Yes quite unbelievable.

Liked by 1 person

• While I think they represent the worst of the age of entitlement, and if their massive wealth was put to better use, at the same time I am wary of adopting the mindset that EVERYTHING has to pay its way.

Like for example Universities slowly abandoning the classics and turning into job factories for robots.

And I’m reminded of the other end of the spectrum to the royals – third generation welfare bludgers iced off their faces costing the working and middle classes (but not untaxed mega corporations) zillions if dollars in health care, law and social justice.

The royals are only as odious as the rest of the parasitic counts who walk the face of this tired old planet. But they are far less shameless about flaunting it.

• I absolutely agree, and believe that any society that only views art, literature, architecture, etc in view of their potential to make money is no longer civilised. Ditto with universities putting so much energy into bullshit courses because they can charge international students outrageous fees , and plumping out what should be a TAFE Diploma to a degree by mandating subjects with no actual meaning.

As for the corporate rich, both sides of government have failed to adequately tax them while their CEOs thumb their noses at us dumb tax payers.

Liked by 3 people

• Agree with that. I just wonder nowadays with Universities and TAFE. TAFEs have all but been destroyed with the outsourcing to the private sector to dodgy operators and supplying qualifications to the unsuspecting only to find when they do find work that they don’t have the skills required. Likewise Universities are full of courses that should be TAFE courses, and other courses where graduates have next to no chance of finding meaningful work in the sector afterwards.

Why do we need 40-50% of school leavers undertaking university courses when many of them won’t cope anyway, why is anything less stigmatised. As much as we need Doctors, Architects, Surveyors, Scientists, Engineers etc we need Plumbers, Electricians, Carpenters, and other Trades etc.

But as long as members of the Royal family are protected them and the corporate rich; the new industrialists, are OK I guess. The rest of us well……….

Liked by 1 person

15. Algy – are you fluent in Welsh? Or do you have a marvellous translation device or website. Love it – notice you’ve done that before to that idiot Taffy. Well done.

• No I use an online translator. Taffy is one of those special types of idiots isn’t he, cuts and pastes without checking what he’s written.

Lots of high tension with the fires. We actually got a warning for the Turramurra fire on Tuesday. Speaking to somebody on Tuesday night they asked if we were in danger; they knew where we lived, pointed out many houses and units as well as a university would have to go up before we’d be affected. We’re not near bushland at all.

• vivienne29 said:

It is still frightening stuff. Gets the adrenalin running. I can usually smell a fire if there’s one near us (been a few over the years and one big one) and then go out and look in all directions – can’t always see it because of some small hills etc. I always pay our subs to local bush fire brigade very promptly.

• Tuesday was the most bizarre of days. We’re getting a lot of smoke from the Colo fires and the North Coast fires before that. But Tuesday night, the smoke cloud from the Colo fire combined with the dust storm made the skies look apocalyptic. The sky beyond the cloud was just a strange colour. And the air quality was just putrid.

Growing up in Hornsby watching Ku-ring-gai NP in flames was par for the course.

16. algernon1 said:

Well a Guardian pick and a thread pulled in the one article. John williams on Howard and the national water plan. Having a debate well getting carry on from R_Ambrove_Raven with our mate who loves trolling some of us putting his usual whataboutery then most of it gone.

Liked by 3 people

17. Another Guardian pick on Greg Jericho’s piece. Well done Algernon, you’re making a habit of this. 🙂

• algernon1 said:

Mrs A reckons I’m becoming “an Influencer” :p . There are some wankers on that piece though aren’t there.

• vivienne29 said:

You are and that’s how it should be Algy.

• algernon1 said:

Why thank you viv.

I was a little surprised, had a halfway reasonable debate with WheresThommo and a good debate with Catsrock after he stopped making nonsense comment. Erasmus though what a dick, a pedantry dick.

18. algernon1 said:

19. Today is International Top Spinning Day.

20. vivienne29 said:

It’s World Sight Day today – OPSM just emailed me with the news. Asking me to donate to Help the World See.

21. algernon1 said:

Happy World Octopus Day.

22. algernon1 said:

Guardian Pick on Van Badhams blog.

Liked by 1 person

• Well done mate. Didn’t read that article as I find Van a bit tedious and this marriage at junk food shops has been happening a while.

• algernon1 said:

She can be a bit full on, but when she’s onto things she doesn’t let go. She was on The Drum with Fat Mandy, made an utter fool of her, pulled up every bit of bullshit that she came up with. I don’t often comment on hers but did this one.

23. Anyone watching Keeping Faith on ABC Friday nights? I am actually Losing Patience.